9.12.2007

as seen: the world as flat

Nightstand, Ox-Bow © kjm

I'm in Michigan today, on an assignment to photograph at Ox-Bow, an art school and artists' residency. It's a wonderful place, and though it sounds like brochure-speak, I felt more relaxed the moment I arrived yesterday. I met a local artist named Stephen, who told me about having had a brain aneurysm two years ago, and how he was still working to reconnect and realign his thoughts. He told me how, after the aneurysm, he lost the ability to see in three dimensions. He had regained the ability, but it still was causing problems for him artistically. Isn't the act of photographing is a bit like the opposite - seeing things in three dimensions, and then capturing them in the best way in which they'll be seen in two...?

No comments: