1.13.2009

found

















In preparation for a gallery talk I'll be giving on the Camp Home series, I asked my Mom if she knew of any old photos of my Dad with his family. We've always had lots of beautiful vintage photographs of my Mom's family in Hawaii, but scant few from the Miyazaki side. She found a box of photos containing pictures I'd never seen before. To my surprise, there were pictures of my Dad, aunt and grandparents at Heart Mountain (in Wyoming), the internment camp they were moved to from Tule Lake. Internees weren't allowed to have cameras in camp, but possibly the rules were relaxed in later years - I'm not sure. He would have been 14 or 15 years old at the time these were taken.

After thinking so much about my Dad during that time period, and seeing so many camp buildings in person and in historic photographs, I'm thrilled to see these - both as a photographer and a son.

Here's the information for the gallery talk, though the high temperature on Thursday is supposed to be a bone-chilling -3 degrees (which would even keep hardy Wisconsinites at home). If you make it, I promise to do my best to inform and entertain!

Thursday, January 15, 6:00 pm
Mary L. Nohl Fund Fellowship exhibit
Inova/Kenilworth gallery, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
2155 N. Prospect Avenue, Milwaukee, WI 53202

1 comment:

Mel Trittin said...

Wow! Perhaps now, after going so far with your project, you are ready to see them. Wow.