7.12.2007

would you like stamps with that?

N. Lake Street Location @kjm

I made a new picture for my Fast Food series today, after an assignment in Madison, Wisconsin. Thanks to photographer Jeff Miller, who alerted me to the closed-down McDonald's (hint: all tips welcome!). I've now shot lots of these places, but this was a bit different in several ways.
1) I actually encountered people working on renovating the place - usually the restaurants are abandoned and pretty desolate. The workers scratched their heads a bit when I told them about my project, but they had no problem with me taking pictures. 2) The restaurant space was becoming - get this - a post office. There's a joke there somewhere, but I can't think of one right now. And 3) Because of the renovation, I'm sure I missed lots of good shots. But it was still kind of exciting in that I just had the front windows and doors to photograph. Had I been there a few days later, I may have missed it all.

2 comments:

Mel Trittin said...

I'm sure you're aware of this since it's in your neighborhood, but as I was driving around today I noticed that the Wendy's on Burleigh just West of Highway 100 is closed.

Thanks for the kind mentions you have sent my way.

Mel

Anonymous said...

If you are ever in Chicago, there is a closed Burger King on the corner of Wilson and Sheridan. As a special bonus there is an "urban" church across the street, with a large "Jesus Saves" sign. I can just picture the picture.