2.02.2009

within reach: study


















desktop © kjm

My dad used to bring home unwanted furniture - wooden chairs and metal desks - from his office when we were kids. I didn't think much of it then, but they were 50's and 60's era pieces, so I came to appreciate their design. One chair even has "save for Jim" still scrawled on the bottom. As a result, I currently sit at the same desk I didn't study at 25 years ago: a green, metal Globe-Wernicke. I have an appreciation for objects (maybe especially a desk) that have had different homes and owners in their lifetimes.

This weekend, I did some deep cleaning, removing mountains of papers from it's surfaces. I'm not sure what the material of the desktop actually is, but it's hard to clean and has a memory to it's soft surface. This is just one particularly ugly and beautiful corner.

[within reach is a series of photographs examining the environment of home in detail]

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the "at the same desk I didn't study at" comment. Reminds me of my own study habits as a kid.

I do like those old, metal institutional desks. Funny timing on your post as the following link just popped up in my newsreader.

http://www.uncrate.com/men/gear/office/vintage-desks-office-chairs/

Click thru on their links and look at some of the prices for their desks. Your's should be priceless given the fact that it's been in your family so long.