7.13.2012

Perimeter












(Photographing Andy at Big Bay Beach) © kjm

I've started to work on a new project, commissioned by the Haggerty Museum of Art at Marquette University.  Perimeter is a contemporary examination of Lake Michigan, focusing on the people who access and connect with it in their daily lives. The lake holds importance to a large population in the states of Wisconsin (my home state), Illinois, Indiana and Michigan. That connection comes in a variety of ways, whether it involves play or work, land or spirituality. Photographs and a video (involving the lake water) from the project will be on exhibit at the museum in January 2013, but is also intended to work into the museum's educational curriculum.

Starting on Monday, I'll be making a 2-week drive around the perimeter of the lake, seeking out every access point I can find - rural and urban, crowded and abandoned, in large cities and small towns. The people I meet will be my subjects, and I've created a small, portable studio to take on the road.

I plan to make updates from the trip, so please stay tuned.

4 comments:

Jonathan Lurie said...

Kevin, This sounds like a very exciting project. If you need any help when you get to the suburbs just north of Chicago, let me know.
https://sites.google.com/site/jonlurie/home/summer-at-gillson

Unknown said...

That is an excellent lighting solution, Kevin - awesome!

Kevin J. Miyazaki said...

Thanks, Jonathan - I already passed through on my first day - wish I had had more time to poke around...

Kevin J. Miyazaki said...

Thanks, Troy! I'm currently on Day 10 and the contraption is working well and hasn't blown over yet. I can set it up really quickly, like an Indy pit crew member... :)